Saturday, April 30, 2011

It's a Whirlwind!

Usually a whirlwind conjures up ideas of anticipation, excitement, pleasure and, exhilaration. 
So, after  much enthusiastic planning, anticipating the upcoming wedding of a dear one, finally it comes.  We find ourselves stimulated and exhilarated about the BIG DAY.  We packed our bags, then the car, then added us to the car, and headed to the coffee shop for fuel.

Off we go to the mighty south land and insanity for the BIG WEEKEND!....into the pouring rain on three hours sleep.  1st stop--the rest area for a potty break (no rain).   Back on the road--G'ma's driving now ( I'm so tired) so I catch a few zzzz's and the rain continues adding strong winds. 

Magz calls and my heart stops, she's singing and happy and getting ready to head to the airport.  Yeah we'll see each other tonight and lots of hugs will be going around.

Donnie's phone announces there are tornado warnings in Orange County.  Oh great BUT we are leaving that behind (at least for a few days).  Uppps--time for gas. Off we pull to refuel and empty our own tanks.  I'm back in the drivers seat again.  And the rain begins again.  Still Donnie's phone is making the warnings of tornadoes in the homeland but we do get some breaks and some dry roadways ahead.  Just as we get on the ever incredibly over populated 95 (I hate 95), the bright turns to very gray and big drops of water stream down on us, AGAIN.  Really???  AND then--an accident 8 miles ahead (which we never did see an evidence of) just snail paced traffic.  Did I mention how much I hate 95?  'Cause I DO! 

Ahhhhh, at last, only 8 miles to go and my phone rings to hear one very hysterical daughter crying that her flight was canceled.  PANIC overwhelms me.  My heart hurts.  I try desperately to sound reassuring and not wreck the car.  As I comfort her the best I can and pass the phone to G'ma, my mind goes blank.  I call Deet and have her be the voice of reason and one who will better be able to control the situation from a stationary position as opposed to one moving 75 miles per hour on--Oh yeah--I-95.  Did I mention how much I hate 95?  'Cause I DO!

The calls go back and forth and in one call to speak with the ticket agent, Deet informs him that the option he gave to Magz is NOT acceptable and he WILL make arrangements for her to get on a flight down Saturday, have transportation to the venue for rehearsal, and put her back north Monday without costing her 1 red cent extra.  DONE!  Crisis averted (I pray).  I tell her to calm down, wait for the girls to pick her up, go to the nearest nail shop for a mani/pedi, have dinner and a nice tall beverage--ON ME!

Ironically, in the Land of Cort, the skies were bright and sunny, a beautiful day in comparison to the rest of the east coast.  So as the wind whirled all around us, Magz stood in utter devastation.

We are here.  Wedding central--

Everywhere I see pink and glitter and stuff for the wedding--It's CRAZZZIE!!!!
I expected nothing less and if it were, I'd be disappointed.

After some dinner we took on the task of rolling fondant,
while Aunt Pat
& Deanna iced the giant heart sugar cookies.  Fondant was applied,
cookies wrapped,
and 105 thank you's all snug in their basket.

Never fear, while BabyCakes is away this weekend please know the sweet things are still in the picture (quite literally).  The coffee shop                       has BabyCakes for sale and the Heart shaped wedding cookies are
 looking beautiful thanks to Dee and Aunt Pat.
On to the next project.  Ummm, seating chart--check, favors--
check, sleep--heading there right now.

When we wake up in the AM, Britain will have a new princess and the prelude begins for the REAL Royal Wedding with the nuptials of Prince William and Kate Middleton.  After all, in our world Deet IS the Princess (shhh, don't tell her I said so).

So, as I tuck this day away to rest, I think the definition for whirlwind is a bit skewed and can be summed best in this case as tumultuous.

Until the next episode, TTFN.  Love Jeanmarie

No comments:

Post a Comment