Sunday, April 8, 2012

31,556,926 seconds--Give or Take

Did you know there are 31,556,926 seconds in a year?

Now I'm certainly no math wiz, I leave that to CDorr & The Deb. However, with a calculator and a little common knowledge of multiplication even I could figure this one out. And since this is a Leap Year there will be 31,557,600 seconds in this year. To be more exact, which is what Mathematics is, there have been 30,088,800 seconds since I wrote and posted my first blog. Loosely translated that is a little under a year ago (by 17 days). If you want to double check me here go back and re-read my first entry (assuming you read it the first go-around). Basically, I began blogging last Easter break.

Well in this past year a ship load of things have happened. Some for the good, better, best and still there are those times I refer to as challenges. Some may use the synonyms hiccup, trying, hurdles, unfortunate, bad luck, and even down-right shitty, but I will stick with challenging. I think that for each challenge there is a lesson to be learned. In the past decade, these challenges have taught me many life lessons and have provided me with fortitude, wisdom, wrinkles, agita, weight gain, and a prescription for Lexapro (to which I have recently eliminated from my daily intake).

So, I suppose I need to confess my prolonged absence. I had so much to share but for shear cowardly reasons, I didn't feel I should. I was thinking about how other people would look upon some of my new experiences as if I were saying, "nanaanaana" or that they were so far fetched that they couldn't possibly happen to me. I was having some great fun and interesting times with people I never dreamed of becoming so close to. People who would encourage me, ME. Not to self promote or make themselves feel better. But to genuinely give to me because they could. I have been encouraged to do, explore, try, be a part of, experience some things I would never have had the intestinal fortitude to do on my own--well at least not with out major amounts of alcohol. But stone-cold-sober, I marched head on into things like being a private chef for an evening, assisting a master chef for a fundraising event with duties to numerous to count from time management, kitchen traffic control, taste tester, plating, service, to clean up.  Talk about rewarding!! Just to spend time in that kitchen is a dream come true. This lead to being a collaborator of baking and making a variety of things over the next few months and will continue long into the future.

BabyCakes took a giant leap and was my sanity throughout the summer months keeping me busy and affording me some necessary funds for the household. It gained a loyal following from Two Rivers Grill and Port Java. Not being an immense peanut butter aficionado, I went on the reaction of those who find it the ultimate compliment to chocolate and I have been able to adapt this combination into the BabyCakes Peanut Butter Surprise. It is by far the most requested treat at Two Rivers and by individual clients alike.  By special request (and for a few extra cents) one can delight in a rich moist dark chocolate cake, with a peanut butter cup plunged into the center upon emersion from the oven, when cooled topped with smooth creamy peanut buttercreme frosting, and a drizzle of chocolate fudge and peanut dust. It is love at first bite and usually all I hear is "ummmmm". It has been proclaimed to be better than……. %@#.......  well you get my point.

In late September (I know, it reminds me of a song too) not in '63 but in 2011, BabyCakes went to the Downtown Fall Foliage Festival with several varieties of goodies to share. It was a great success I wouldn't have been able to do it without Nana's help. It was a beautiful day weather wise, the people totally embraced  the display, and loved all the various flavors--especially the BabyCakes in a Jar. (lower left on the table).
There were many more cupcakes and even cakes at times for various occasions I will include some in a photo gallery in the next blog.

In addition to all the ups and not-so-up side of things since Late August, there have been much change in my little corner of the world.

In no particular order but all of monumentous proportion:
***August--Maggie went off to what turns out to be her last semester away at Cortland before she returns home in May to begin her internship at the PJPD (for her final semester). On the 12th day of May 2012, she will participate in the Commencement Ceremony and graduate in December.
***September--Nick's a senior at PJHS. Football, football, football…consumes us and with great pride. The season is off to a roaring start, he is chosen to be on the "royal" court, elected President of the Honor Society, and so much more.
***November--Thanksgiving Day--Spectacular weather--the perfect day! Big game, big rivalry, winner keeps the Erie Bell (huge train bell) for Bragging rites. We all gear up to head to the field in full Port Pride for the first Middletown-Port Game played on Glenette Field on Thanksgiving day since 1969.

Onto the field they come, pre-game announcements, introductions, National Anthem, the announcement of the 2012 recipient of the Faller Award--the player from Port--Nick Schields. So sSOOOoo proud. And then the kick off and here we go. Such excitement. They look good and are playing hard.
   Then comes the third play of the game……..
      Nick's on the ground--
         he gets up---
             shakes it off----
                goes back in-----
                   plays a couple more downs---------
                      then the other guys on the field notice he's not quite himself----------- 
                          Off to the sidelines he goes--------
                             for what would be the rest of this once in a lifetime game.
He is hysterical crying and won't settle down. 

I am called down onto the field. Who Me? It's almost unheard of for the Mom to be called down to the field. Trying to calm and reassure him he will be able to play, he is monitored by his coach. After the first quarter he is reassessed he can go back in if he is cleared. BUT he is still hysterical and still really confused.  he is able to collect himself enough to go into the locker room with the team at the end of the second quarter.  Half time comes and the boys come into the locker room where Nick proceeds to give a pep talk.
He now knows he can not go back in, pumps them up to fight even harder and he'll be supporting them from the sides. They head back out to the field and Nick quietly complies to leave in the ambulance but only if they sneak him out unnoticed.
It turns out he had a severe concussion.  He was like 10 second Tom.  By the time he was being released, in came his buddy Dan to see him…."We won! We won THE BELL!!!" and up pulled the truck with the bell loaded on the back and the team following right behind it. Clanging all the way!!!! It was about this time he started to regain some memories of the last 24 hours.

And just how does he top that one. Well, he then begins his application  process to colleges for the following fall and when he asked me if he could apply to Virginia schools, I replied, "sure, but if you get accepted I'm going with you".




Just when you think things are crazy enough along comes a little girl name Shirley Rose (who came into our lives on 9/10/11) via CDorr. It turns out she will give us all a chance to take a closer look as to why we need to live and continue to work to make the world a better place. The village must pull together to help raise this child. She is so precious and such a joy to be around.  My heart pains me when I think of the life she would have without our love. Since our hours are opposite I take the day shift caring for our little love and "Grammie" CDorr has her the rest of the time with Auntie Peggy helping out too.

***December--the day after Christmas we went to visit Virginia Tech. I knew then and there-that is where he would be. He was like a little boy on Christmas morning seeing the cookie crumbs Santa left behind with excitement. He could not contain himself. We went to two of the "college" stores and if time weren't getting to the point where they were closing the stores, we'd still be there. (By the way, He is not really a browser and shopper. He is usually a man on a mission.)
So since the district is not hiring, filling sub positions, or showing any signs of moving forward, we actually decide to make a plan to go with Nick should he get into a school in VA.

Hold on, Oh wait just a minute…
***January--along comes a job opening at a law firm in town, I apply....and I get the job! Wow, I am so excited. A full time nine to fiver.  What about Shirley?  What about my job at school?? And what about Virginia? 
Shirley--goes to a babysitter, I bid ado to the school district entering a whole new world, and Virginia--we shall see.

Did I say Wow?  I meant HOLY WOW BATMAN!!!!  What the hell was I thinking? Talk about a learning curve. All the time I've prided myself on grammar  and now I have to write sentences like--"Furthermore, the aforenamed requests said petition here by be with withdrawn without prejudice." and that means exactly what???? Sorry it's up to the judge to translate. I'm almost 3 months into it and think I am finally getting a grip on this new language of legaleez.  I call it speaking Yoda.

Fat forward to***April and the calendar is getting filled with all that comes with the Senior year.
The scholarship package has been turned in, the trip to Disney,  academic & athletic award nights,  ceremonies,  then it's off to the proms and that parental nightmare of a weekend at the shore, Baccalaurate, testing, and then Graduation…PHEW!!!

I am ecstatic to be back sharing some of my life's events.  Thanks for reading and I hope I didn't bore you with my prouder mommy moments. Notice, I also neglected to share the challenges as I continue to make an effort to over come them and bring a positive sense to my blog.

There were many more cupcakes and even cakes and fun food for various occasions. I will include some in a photo gallery in the next blog. 


So--Until the next episode, TTFN. Jeanmarie

1 comment:

  1. Whew...what a year...Lately, when I hear a story of someone's life so fraught with ups and downs, especially someone I adore, I am reminded of Mr Toad's Wild Ride...the Disney ride no longer in existence at the Magic Kingdom...But you are here...wiser...stronger everyday...an inspiration to those of us who know you and are lucky enough to be part of that Wild Ride called Life...xo

    ReplyDelete